Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Express Myself

This will surely be a test of how many people actually read this blog (i have this horrible feeling it's just me).

I found myself quite frustrated in the last couple of days as I was struggling to find 'inspiration' whilst playing my guitar. I think this is partly due to the fact that I have been very creative and productive this last month, and I'm simply not happy that I'm having a slow week(!).
When I was very, very young (this will give you an idea of just how sad I am) a bored young but musically gifted Rhys would take old letters written by grandparents and compose melodies to the words - whatever they were ('my corns are getting woooorse'.)
In my teens I actually helped a couple of friends by turning their lines of poetry or lyrics into a song. I always found working with another persons words or ideas very helpful in leading me in new directions. Here, finally, is the point of this entry -
If you are interested in having your poetry or lyrics turned into a song by Rhys - please feel free to email them to rhysauteri [at] hotmail [dot] com. It doesn't have to be a poem, it could be a short story or true life experience you would like me to try and adapt. I'll pick the best two or three (or none if no one is interested) and make a song, and try and record it for this page (or alternatively perform it at an upcoming gig.

I hope this doesn't sound too much like me trying to get others to write lyrics for me! I actually think it's pretty cool that two people can collaborate on a song without meeting or possibly not even knowing each other. Anyway, let me know...

6 comments:

lisa said...

I read your blog! That's a pretty cool collaboration idea you have there, good luck with it. xx

rhyspeaking said...

muchos grazias, lisa p. the response has been a little underwhelming, but a couple of people have promised to get back to me! could be fun. say hi to France for me, and tell her she owes me money.

Lauren said...

I thikn there is only one place to start, and that is with the Australia Day poem from the Oz (see Theatre notes.com)

It would be an epic song, but what the hey!

I don't have any stashed poems or lyrics, but I think it is great idea! Hope you are well and having fun.

rhyspeaking said...

Hiya Lozba. I was thinking maybe reworking you and your sister's "I Wanna Eat at Smorgy's" classic? smells good!

Avi said...

yeah it's funny, i used to write (songs) a lot more than i do now - i desperately wanted to be a singer/songwriter in highschool; that never eventuated. i look back on the shit i wrote in highschool - much of it was total rubbish, but there are certain songs that i think I couldn't write now that i wrote then. good songs; songs i am still impressed with even though i know the angsty, overemotional 16-year-old that wrote them and don't like her very much. i think the problem now is that i am too self-critical to write; back in high school my bullshit-guage wasn't nearly as finely attuned as it is now, and i was thus able to churn out rubbish lyrics and badly constructed melodies and be satisfied with them. nowadays i tend to get sick of the sound of my voice; my fingers aren't as adept on the guitar, and I always use the same structures when writing on the piano. I would love to get back into it, but it's hard, and takes time, and effort, and energy - and I am channelling all that creative energy into making theatre, anyway, so my need to write whingy pop is somewhat diminished.

what i'm trying to say is, good luck! and also, i should come to a gig of yours soon.

Lauren said...

There you go Rhys, giving me sister credit for 'I wanna go to Smorgies', I was co-writer and main concept deviser on that little sucker!

So you want to rework it, huh? Well there is a lot for me an A. to consider here, we are going to want some recogntion, and, when it hits 'big', a decent chunk of those royalty cheques. All 'We wanna go to Smorgies' needs is a couple of neato chords (that's where you come in) and our we'll be able to build that theatrehouse we've always dreamed of!!!

Also, to add to Lisa's first sentiment- I read (and thoroughly enjoy) your blog.

Alright take care, turn down the self moitoring mabine in your head, write something, even it is shit it is better than that old demon, the blank page!! (That goes for you too Avi!!)